While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
what are you looking for?
- Climate change has altered nearly all of the planet’s ecosystems thefinchandpea.com/2016/12/09/cli… 20 hours ago
- Newton and Thomas Pynchon thefinchandpea.com/2016/12/08/new… 2 days ago
- The FDA is not holding back effective drugs thefinchandpea.com/2016/12/07/the… 2 days ago
- RT @easternblot: When you're at a #mozfest session and your sister's blog post is part of the presentation... https://t.co/K93YgvxSsd 1 month ago
- RT @easternblot: Just tweeting this @finchandpea link because there's a relevant session coming up at #mozfest about geeky travel. https:/… 1 month ago
- ....or if you want to support another charity, search the site to see if someone made a video for them. Charities with most votes get money. 3 hours ago