While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
The Finch & Picks
- How to View the Solar Eclipse Safely thefinchandpea.com/2017/08/16/how… 3 months ago
- Pachycephalosaur #finchstagram thefinchandpea.com/2017/08/04/pac… https://t.co/9inWHiTbis 3 months ago
- Thagomizer #finchstagram thefinchandpea.com/2017/08/04/tha… https://t.co/DxTPdNH3Dq 3 months ago
- Anachrokapi thefinchandpea.com/2017/08/04/ana… https://t.co/RfBLZkeEm1 3 months ago
- Clever Girl thefinchandpea.com/2017/07/27/cle… https://t.co/rZ2eAuQgrq 3 months ago