While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
what are you looking for?
- RT @stevesilberman: Journal retracts paper that questioned CDC autism study. goo.gl/mPWygR 22 hours ago
- RT @VictoriaNHS: I'm actually quite keen on the accurate plushie of the Quetzalcoatlus! kickstarter.com/projects/palae… HT @finchandpea 1 day ago
- RT @joshwitten: Think feathered dinos aren't terrifying? Imagine getting chased by a pack of these cute raptors. Now try to sleep. http://t… 2 days ago
- Help @joshwitten's kids get a velociraptor wp.me/pXK0q-3rl @kickstarter #sciart #dinosaurs 2 days ago
- RT @in_the_ruins: New World Apocalypse 1889: The Last American wp.me/pXK0q-3r1 via @finchandpea 3 days ago
- My Tweets