While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
what are you looking for?
- RT @mcshanahan: "Apocalypse 1893: The Scientific End of the World" cool sci fi history from @genologos @finchandpea thefinchandpea.com/2014/08/31/apo… 11 hours ago
- RT @genologos: Next in my post-apocalyptic series: 19th C. Carl Sagan writes end of the world as pop science (1893) @finchandpea http://t.… 16 hours ago
- Apocalypse 1893: The Scientific End of the World wp.me/pXK0q-3ru 1 day ago
- Your microbial fingerprint has scientific & #caturday approval thefinchandpea.com/2014/08/30/sci… by @artologica 2 days ago
- RT @artologica: It's a BYOB Science Caturday starring @gilbertjacka and his merry band of microbes thefinchandpea.com/2014/08/30/sci… 2 days ago
- My Tweets