This super-bad unicorn of the sea is most closely related to the beluga whale. The unicorn-horn is not a horn at all but a tooth that grows through the top lip. Male narwhals have one overgrown tooth (1 in 500 have 2) that usually comes from the left and in mega rare cases the female can have a tusk as well. The body length can be up to 3 meters and the tusk can be half that size. So, why do they have a tusk? Well, not for hunting because they eat benthic foods. Fighting? Breaking through the ice? These behaviors have rarely been observed. Continue reading
what are you looking for?
- The Legacy of Slavery in African American DNA thefinchandpea.com/2016/07/19/the… 6 days ago
- RT @genologos: It’s been a long year but our @finchandpea science poem is back. Darwin and Happy Endings: thefinchandpea.com/2016/07/17/sun… 1 week ago
- Sunday Science Poem: Evolution and Happy Endings thefinchandpea.com/2016/07/17/sun… https://t.co/ymAb2DI5NP 1 week ago
- Sunday Science Poem: Evolution and Happy Endings thefinchandpea.com/2016/07/17/sun… https://t.co/MG3SAUq2mY 1 week ago
- In the wake of #BrexitVote, @easternblot recalls importance of non-Brit scis to UK #science at @HerschelMuseum thefinchandpea.com/2016/07/12/a-v… 1 week ago