This super-bad unicorn of the sea is most closely related to the beluga whale. The unicorn-horn is not a horn at all but a tooth that grows through the top lip. Male narwhals have one overgrown tooth (1 in 500 have 2) that usually comes from the left and in mega rare cases the female can have a tusk as well. The body length can be up to 3 meters and the tusk can be half that size. So, why do they have a tusk? Well, not for hunting because they eat benthic foods. Fighting? Breaking through the ice? These behaviors have rarely been observed. Continue reading
what are you looking for?
- RT @phylogenomics: And @MostlyMicrobes @hollybik here's @edyong209's #icontainmultitudes visiting @artologica microbial art in my home http… 2 days ago
- Off-the-shelf drugs against Zika thefinchandpea.com/2016/08/25/off… 2 days ago
- When your fortune cookie falk to reckon with the problem of the argument from false… thefinchandpea.com/2016/08/24/whe… https://t.co/0pQOjuXc2X 4 days ago
- RT @artologica: A couple of new EKG paintings, including this blue beauty etsy.com/shop/artologic… #sciart #hcsm https://t.co/7tw9WK2krG 5 days ago
- RT @genologos: A hard lesson to learn: pnas.org/content/113/30… https://t.co/szh6ZIpLyh 1 week ago