This super-bad unicorn of the sea is most closely related to the beluga whale. The unicorn-horn is not a horn at all but a tooth that grows through the top lip. Male narwhals have one overgrown tooth (1 in 500 have 2) that usually comes from the left and in mega rare cases the female can have a tusk as well. The body length can be up to 3 meters and the tusk can be half that size. So, why do they have a tusk? Well, not for hunting because they eat benthic foods. Fighting? Breaking through the ice? These behaviors have rarely been observed. Continue reading
what are you looking for?
- RT @artologica: I won't be at #sfn16, so get your brain scarves now! etsy.com/shop/artologic… https://t.co/rkfEnXzyfL 2 days ago
- Trusted Sources thefinchandpea.com/2016/09/26/tru… 3 days ago
- RT @mcshanahan: Love @ScienceBorealis highlighting CDN scicomm voices & rly love this quote fr @Ng_Dave. Sci culture is everyone https://t.… 1 week ago
- RT @sciencegeist: cc #sciart @artologica @FlyingTrilobite @joshwitten twitter.com/sciencegeist/s… 1 week ago
- RT @artologica: It's my next show, and it's a great one! DC/MD/VA, come on out! twitter.com/DelRayPatch/st… 1 week ago