While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
what are you looking for?
- Where’s Tiger? #camouflage #finchstagram thefinchandpea.com/2015/11/28/whe… https://t.co/ga8CL63WQW 13 hours ago
- This picture pairs nicely with a mojito #finchstagram #RuleTheFirst thefinchandpea.com/2015/11/28/thi… https://t.co/ddIUZtoyCT 13 hours ago
- These would probably look even better if my phone could see in UV like an… thefinchandpea.com/2015/11/28/the… https://t.co/onxA1hXqqY 16 hours ago
- Too may see stylized representations of gazelle heads. I see microscopes. #finchstagram thefinchandpea.com/2015/11/26/too… https://t.co/wczxte2vvy 2 days ago
- A delicious & accurate, right-handed double helix #finchstagram thefinchandpea.com/2015/11/26/a-d… https://t.co/EqknfNZO7b 2 days ago