While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
what are you looking for?
- Is that an ear on your arm or are you just happy to hear me? The sciart of Diemut Strebe thefinchandpea.com/2015/05/27/art… http://t.co/yHtIo3C84M 43 minutes ago
- When Mike recommends sci-fi novels, he recommends postapocalyptic sci-fi thefinchandpea.com/2015/05/21/my-… 3 hours ago
- Is that an ear on your arm or are you just happy to hear me? Diemut Strebe via @artologica thefinchandpea.com/2015/05/27/art… http://t.co/Y1tCmKGsLg 5 hours ago
- RT @artologica: You could nominate me if you wanted. You know, me. Over here. Meeeeeeeeeeee. twitter.com/johnmaeda/stat… 6 hours ago
- Will the Large Hairball Collider find the mysterious "red dot"? thefinchandpea.com/2015/05/23/sci… http://t.co/z3cvywJnlg 6 hours ago