While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
what are you looking for?
- Legally cats > chimps, which is exactly how the cats planned it. thefinchandpea.com/2015/04/25/sci… http://t.co/a6WWoNZ1Lo 7 hours ago
- RT @anatotitan: Feathered #dinosaurs for all! Vainglorious Velociraptor is just one of them in mammothismopey.com. #FossilFriday http:/… 11 hours ago
- RT @marynmck: .@DrMarchbein @MSF_USA: witnessing is part of our DNA but we depend on you to amplify the story in ways we cannot #ahcj15 11 hours ago
- Legally cats > chimps, which is exactly how the cats planned it. #caturday thefinchandpea.com/2015/04/25/sci… http://t.co/UfsVfTLQoM 12 hours ago
- Inspired by #Legos to revisit The Sedgwick Museum wp.me/pXK0q-3Sf #havesciwilltravel http://t.co/dDiNBMiKvt 13 hours ago
- ...I'd rather you donate to Nepal now, so never mind our hosting - donate to your favourite reputable aid organisation instead. (2/2) 10 hours ago