While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
what are you looking for?
- The earthquake that shrank Mt Everest - from @easternblot thefinchandpea.com/2015/05/19/an-… 8 hours ago
- How much can we be quantified & analyzed? Lewis explores. @artologica critiques. thefinchandpea.com/2015/05/20/art… #sciart http://t.co/epe6f7sgV8 9 hours ago
- When @genologos recommends #SciFi novels, he recommends #postapocalyptic sci-fi thefinchandpea.com/2015/05/21/my-… @sfsignal 10 hours ago
- Will the Large Hairball Collider find the holy grail of purrticle physics? thefinchandpea.com/2015/05/23/sci… #science #caturday http://t.co/eN1Byvmols 13 hours ago
- RT @artologica: It's Caturday at CERN and the kittehs are filled with energy! thefinchandpea.com/2015/05/23/sci… http://t.co/CrgdKgyuxE 2 days ago