This super-bad unicorn of the sea is most closely related to the beluga whale. The unicorn-horn is not a horn at all but a tooth that grows through the top lip. Male narwhals have one overgrown tooth (1 in 500 have 2) that usually comes from the left and in mega rare cases the female can have a tusk as well. The body length can be up to 3 meters and the tusk can be half that size. So, why do they have a tusk? Well, not for hunting because they eat benthic foods. Fighting? Breaking through the ice? These behaviors have rarely been observed. Continue reading
what are you looking for?
public noticesBook Punks - Mike was interviewed by Book Punks about his series of reviews of post-apocalyptic fiction, aka "Apocalypse Then".
Mike - Designer babies are not right around the corner.
Circumcision - Science for The People talks about the medical & ethical history of circumcision with Sarah Rodriguez & Brian Earp.
- Visiting the science-inspired design of Gaudi w/ @easternblot #sciart thefinchandpea.com/2015/03/24/sci… http://t.co/6LCUk8PeRO 5 hours ago
- Help "Mammoth is Mopey" make it to print. Do it for the kids. thefinchandpea.com/2015/03/25/mam… #sciart http://t.co/YAGU3pYxjj 7 hours ago
- RT @artologica: Spend a chilly caturday curled up with the @finchandpea's science kitty tumblr tumblr.com/blog/scienceca… 1 day ago
- Visiting the science-inspired design of Gaudi w/ @easternblot #sciart thefinchandpea.com/2015/03/24/sci… http://t.co/XiQAJ88ND5 1 day ago
- Help "Mammoth is Mopey" make it to print. Do it for the kids. thefinchandpea.com/2015/03/25/mam… #sciart http://t.co/t6cEv7JByl 1 day ago
- In my bracket pool, after the Round of 64 I was in last place. Now, after picking the Final 4, I'm in 2nd, but probably can't win. 7 minutes ago