This super-bad unicorn of the sea is most closely related to the beluga whale. The unicorn-horn is not a horn at all but a tooth that grows through the top lip. Male narwhals have one overgrown tooth (1 in 500 have 2) that usually comes from the left and in mega rare cases the female can have a tusk as well. The body length can be up to 3 meters and the tusk can be half that size. So, why do they have a tusk? Well, not for hunting because they eat benthic foods. Fighting? Breaking through the ice? These behaviors have rarely been observed. Continue reading
what are you looking for?
- Fireworks: for people who love both explosions & glitter, but hate fingers http://t.co/WM1x0aejkD 2 days ago
- #ScienceCaturday would like to wish a Happy Boom Day to its friends in the US thefinchandpea.com/2015/07/04/sci… http://t.co/y74MYyWeoD 2 days ago
- #Science #Caturday would like to wish a Happy Boom Day to its friends in the US thefinchandpea.com/2015/07/04/sci… http://t.co/IIo7PL0lQ0 2 days ago
- RT @artologica: Science Caturday: #IndependenceDay edishun at @finchandpea thefinchandpea.com/2015/07/04/sci… http://t.co/0JnrRuO1f6 2 days ago
- "High Price" rerun from @sci4thepeople. A 2nd chance to talk about #science & #policy of… thefinchandpea.com/2015/07/03/sci… http://t.co/4OjuvmPtX0 3 days ago
- Lullaby request: "Daddy, sing the one where someone dies & pushes a barrow." - aka "Molly Malone" 4 hours ago