This super-bad unicorn of the sea is most closely related to the beluga whale. The unicorn-horn is not a horn at all but a tooth that grows through the top lip. Male narwhals have one overgrown tooth (1 in 500 have 2) that usually comes from the left and in mega rare cases the female can have a tusk as well. The body length can be up to 3 meters and the tusk can be half that size. So, why do they have a tusk? Well, not for hunting because they eat benthic foods. Fighting? Breaking through the ice? These behaviors have rarely been observed. Continue reading
what are you looking for?
- RT @tehpet: @finchandpea I'm The Vexed Muddler now! Changed my business name and Etsy shop name too! 8 hours ago
- RT @TASTEforScience: Thank you so much for the lovely blog post @finchandpea @easternblot - it's lovely to see that you're still following … 8 hours ago
- The African Science Truck Experience: A mobile lab to teach science in Uganda wp.me/pXK0q-3NY from @easternblot 9 hours ago
- "Rain Room" by Random International (@rAndomHQ) - #sciart post from 15 May 2013 ow.ly/JSzYk ow.ly/i/8Rnqm 10 hours ago
- "Sing. Mate. Die." by Anderson Design Group (@adgnashville) - #sciart ow.ly/JSzIH ow.ly/i/8RnlI 10 hours ago
- My Tweets