This super-bad unicorn of the sea is most closely related to the beluga whale. The unicorn-horn is not a horn at all but a tooth that grows through the top lip. Male narwhals have one overgrown tooth (1 in 500 have 2) that usually comes from the left and in mega rare cases the female can have a tusk as well. The body length can be up to 3 meters and the tusk can be half that size. So, why do they have a tusk? Well, not for hunting because they eat benthic foods. Fighting? Breaking through the ice? These behaviors have rarely been observed. Continue reading
what are you looking for?
- RT @artologica: Today's Science Caturday is all about teh nomz thefinchandpea.com/2016/02/06/sci… @finchandpea https://t.co/5N8HBiNX9K 1 day ago
- RT @artologica: Somebody at #DASER last night mentioned an artists-in-labs program @UMich - I can find no trace online. Anybody know anythi… 2 days ago
- RT @easternblot: Going to put some of my class writing on @finchandpea this coming week :) 2 days ago
- The @BritishLibrary page on @Flickr is a rabbit hole of copyright free delights thefinchandpea.com/2016/02/05/not… https://t.co/pLf5qOzYiY 2 days ago
- RT @UTFAL: Art of Science: Frozen Fractals All Around wp.me/pXK0q-4di via @finchandpea 3 days ago