While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
what are you looking for?
- The Gods are Inbred - @arbesman handles the Olympians, @joshwitten handles Adam & Eve wp.me/pXK0q-3qO #linkonomicon 4 hours ago
- RT @tvjrennie: That's what Pictionary is for. MT @finchandpea: No, PMS did not evolve to break up marriages. wp.me/pXK0q-3qu 5 hours ago
- No, PMS did not evolve to break up marriages. Yes, @kateclancy is still my hero wp.me/pXK0q-3qu by @joshwitten #linkonomicon 7 hours ago
- RT @genologos: @finchandpea RT @jessicapolka: Meanwhile... #IceBucketChallenge from thefinchandpea.com/2013/11/27/all… http://t.co/dz12wylY2z” 18 hours ago
- RT @mbeisen: story of woman who diagnosed own genetic disease is why ALL scientific literature MUST be free to EVERYONE http://t.co/ZHcDX11… 1 day ago
- My Tweets