While totally sounding like a sci-fi planet, Solenodons are actually just insectivores. In the family Solenodontidae, there is only one genus-Solenodon and just two species. Yes, solenodons come in just two flavors the Hispaniolan (Solenodon paradoxus) and the Cuban (Solenodon cubanus). These shrew-like looking creatures have a venomous bite that emanates from a groove in their second incisors. Solenodons are reported to eat plants, insects, small invertebrates, but also reptile, amphibians, and rodents. They kill prey larger than themselves most likely after inflicting a fatal bite. The toxin blarina produces a peptide called bradykinin and this bite then leads to paralysis and convulsions.
what are you looking for?
- RT @artologica: We sent a cat to Mars to check out this water thing: thefinchandpea.com/2015/10/03/sci… @finchandpea #caturday http://t.co/ACFSE4ZR2S 1 day ago
- Whale cat is beached*. thefinchandpea.com/2015/09/26/sci… No whales or #cats were harmed in the making of this tweet http://t.co/t5FBqN1cl4 1 day ago
- #Whale cat is beached*. thefinchandpea.com/2015/09/26/sci… No whales or #cats were harmed in the making of this tweet http://t.co/uW7TUP6zW1 1 day ago
- RT @artologica: Grab one of the new neuron scarves before the SfN people snap them all up : ) etsy.com/shop/artologic… http://t.co/ZK9rBMp8by 2 days ago
- @JoyReidenberg it can be, but her full name is Princess Minke twitter.com/JoyReidenberg/… 3 days ago